The East Bay Regional Park District swim facilities include six open-water lakefront beaches, three chlorinated lagoons, two pools, and two bay shoreline beaches.
Swim Beaches and Lakes
- Open-water swimming at Crown Memorial State Beach and Keller Beach at Miller/Knox Regional Shoreline is not restricted. No lifeguards are provided at Bay shoreline beaches -- swim at your own risk.
- Del Valle is currently closed to swimming due to cyanobacteria advisories.
- Lake Temescal is open to swim at your own risk. Lifeguard service is scheduled to start Memorial Day Weekend.
- Niles Beach at Horseshoe Lake at Quarry Lakes Park is currently closed to swimming due to cyanobacteria advisories.
- Shadow Cliffs is closed due to low water levels.
- Lake Anza is currently closed for the 2022 season due to ongoing maintenance.
Swimming Pools and Lagoons
The Cull Canyon swim lagoon will open on weekends, starting April 30th. Additional pools, and lagoons will open Memorial Day weekend, and weekday service for most locations will begin in June. See the swim fees and lifeguard schedule by clicking on the swim facility links below.
- Roberts Pool is closed for renovations until spring 2023.
- Contra Loma Swim Lagoon is closed for swim season 2022 due to construction.
- Walk-ins for all open locations will be available on a first-come, first-served basis until capacity is reached. Cull Canyon and Don Castro will also offer an optional swim entry registration on weekends and holidays to guarantee your admission.
Swim entry registration is available online at: East Bay Regional Parks Online Registration (activecommunities.com). Dates will be released approximately 4 weeks at a time. Currently Cull Canyon has weekend dates available through 5/22/2022. On Tuesday, May 10, the last weekend of May, including Memorial Day, will open for registration at Cull Canyon and Don Castro. Weekends in June will also be available at that time.
- 1 person can register a total of 10 people and the group must enter the swim facility together. Infants count towards this number so be sure to include them when registering.
- Admission will only be granted for the number registered and paid for. The all-day swim pass is valid from 11am - 6pm (everyone must exit water at 5:30pm).
- Swim entry registration is non-refundable/non-transferable.
- Other Park entry fees, such as parking, may apply.
Parks with Reservable Swimming Facilities
Information regarding Group Swimming Procedures, Baptisms, and Pool/Lagoon Rentals
Swim lessons for children are offered at Contra Loma and Roberts Pool. A Junior Lifeguard program is also offered at several lakes. For information about swimming lessons, junior lifeguards, and other aquatic programs please visit the East Bay Lifeguards website, browse programs at http://www.EBParks.org/Register or call 1-888-EBPARKS (1-888-327-2757).
|Campership 2022 - Financial Aid Form English (pdf) | Spanish (pdf)|
Beach wheelchairs are available at:
- Contra Loma in Antioch
- Crown Beach in Alameda
- Del Valle in Livermore
- Don Castro in Castro Valley
- Lake Anza at Tilden in Berkeley
- Lake Temescal in Oakland
- Quarry Lakes in Fremont
- Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton
To arrange for use of a Beach wheelchair, call the park office prior to visiting.
If you are interested in Adaptive Swim Lessons, please call (510) 690-6625 for more information.
Water Safety Notices
No lifeguard service is provided at bay beaches.
Swimming at your own risk is allowed in designated areas and when lifeguards are off-duty at some parks. These include Del Valle, Lake Anza, Lake Temescal, Quarry Lakes, and Shadow Cliffs,
PLEASE NOTE: All lifeguard service operates depending on weather, water level, water quality, staffing availability, and visitation. When lifeguards are not on duty, swimming is permitted only in a designated area, and at a swimmer's own risk. Children must be supervised by a responsible adult.
Lifeguards initiate a 15 minute swim break at 1:00pm, 3:00pm and 5:00pm each day. Children 15 years and younger must completely exit the water during this time. This is a good time for children to rest, re-warm and use the restroom. Groups should review the Group Swim Procedures page before planning a visit.
Alcoholic beverages, dogs, glass containers, fishing, or barbecues are prohibited at ALL swimming areas. Incontinent individuals are prohibited from water contact activities in non-chlorinated swimming areas. (Ordinance 38). This applies to the swimming areas of Del Valle, Crown Beach, Miller/Knox, Quarry Lakes, Shadow Cliffs, Temescal, and Tilden.
Swimmers must follow all Posted Regulations [PDF]
Special Water Safety Notices for Children
Children 12 years old and under are not permitted in the swimming area unless accompanied by a responsible, actively supervising, individual 16 years old or older. Water Safety Information.
Swimmers at swim areas/facilities (Castle Rock, Contra Loma, Cull Canyon, Don Castro, Lake Anza, Lake Temescal, Quarry Lakes, and Roberts), who wish to enter chest deep water, are required to wear an identifying wrist band, issued by the lifeguards. This band indicates you have passed a swim test.
Swim diapers are required at chlorinated swim facilities: Castle Rock, Contra Loma, Cull Canyon, Don Castro, and Roberts.
Learn more about Water Safety at the official website of the United States Lifesaving Association: USLA.org