Some activities in the Park District require a permit.

Beer and Wine Permit

A fee of $25 will be charged for a beer & wine permit in parks where alcohol is restricted to reserved picnic areas. For information call 1-888-EBPARKS or 1-888-327-2757, press option 2, then 1. Please click HERE for park specific rules.

Caterer / Vehicle Access Permit

How do I obtain a permit? 
You must complete all steps at least five (5) working days before your event in order to receive an approved permit. If you do not complete the process in time, the permit will be cancelled. Vehicle access permits cannot be requested under 7 days. To complete the process: 

  1) Check to make sure your picnic site allows vehicle access.
  2) Call 1-888-EBPARKS (1-888-327-2757) option 2 to purchase a one-day vehicle access permit. 
  3) Pay applicable fee(s).
  4) Meet the insurance requirement.
  5) Provide the vehicle’s make, model and color; the driver’s full name, organization and phone number; and sign, date and return (fax/email/mail) the permit to the Reservations office. 
  6) Contact the Park Supervisor to coordinate access.

Which sites allow vehicle access? 
Vehicle access is available only at selected parks and sites with a picnic reservation.  Download list here: List of Vehicle Accessible Sites (Acrobat PDF). DROP OFF ONLY SITES: Certain sites are designated DROP OFF ONLY: Please check the rules for the specific facility you will be using.  At drop-off sites, vehicles will be allowed in to drop off picnic supplies but they must be removed from the site within 30 minutes.  Vehicles will be allowed back in to load at a prearranged time.

How much does the permit cost? 
One-day permits are $75 with a $25 late fee for less than 15 days notice. Annual permits are $150.

What is the insurance requirement? 
Permittee shall supply a Certificate of General Liability Insurance for coverage of at least $1,000,000.00 per occurrence including automobile liability coverage in the amount of $1,000,000.00 per occurrence. This coverage must be primary and apply to each vehicle being driven to the site. The certificate shall list East Bay Regional Park District, its officers, agents and employees as Additional Insured while Permittee is working in an East Bay Regional Park; the certificate holder address is "EBRPD, ATTN: Reservations Supervisor, 2950 Peralta Oaks Court, Oakland, CA 94605". 

Events at QUARRY LAKES PARK: must also name “Alameda County Water District” as additional insured.  Certificate holder address is: ACWD 43885 South Grimmer Boulevard, Fremont, CA 94538. Email a copy to at the same time you send the Certificate of Insurance (COI) to the District.

Do you have a list of approved caterers and vendors? 
Yes! The District's Annual Vehicle Access Permit list reflects the vendors who have submitted proof of insurance to the District and signed our Annual Vehicle Access Agreement. This list does not constitute an endorsement of any particular vendor. You are not required to use an approved vendor; however, if you use someone on this list you are not required to purchase a one-day permit.

List of Current Annual Vehicle Access Permit Holders
CATERERS: If your caterer has a valid Annual Vehicle Access permit from the East Bay Regional Park District, they do not need the One-Day Vehicle Access permit. You must still contact the park supervisor at least 5 working days in advance to arrange access. 
Click on the links below for more information:

How do I apply for an annual vehicle access permit? 
If you own a catering company and would like to apply for the annual permit:
1. Create an account online at (or login to your existing account)
2. Purchase annual vehicle access permit
3. Sign and return permit to Reservations Supervisor at along with current insurance documents.
4. Questions? Email or call the Reservations Department - 1-888-327-2757, option 2.

How do I CANCEL or CHANGE my permit? 
The annual vehicle access permit fee is NON-refundable. One-day permits are refunded as follows:
Cancellations/changes received more than 30 days in advance will receive 90% refund of the permit fee. Cancellations/changes made 30 to 15 days in advance will receive 75% refund of the site use fee. Cancellations/changes made 14 to 7 days in advance will receive 50% refund of the site use fee. Cancellations/changes made less than 7 days in advance will receive NO REFUND. Please keep in mind that picnic areas are outdoors and certain factors are beyond our control. No refunds will be issued for bees, bird droppings, wind or other uncontrollable factors.

Day Camp Operation Permit

Both for-profit and non-profit day camps must have a permit in order to operate in the East Bay Regional Park District. Camps are considered to be "operating" in the East Bay Regional Park District when the park is the primary business location, i.e. kids are dropped off and picked up at the park. A permit is not required for occasional field trips that start or finish at the provider's facilities. Advanced notification is required for swimming.

Fee: $100/summer (June through August*)
*The Special Use or Event Permit fee applies to day camps or other fee-based programs September through May. 
See the Special Event and Use Permit page.

Please contact  or (510) 544-2540 for more information or to obtain a permit.

Dog Permit

The East Bay Regional Park District has set up a dog permit program for people who walk more than three dogs at a time in the Regional Parks and for commercial (professional) dog walkers. Commercial dog walkers are required to obtain a permit, regardless of how many dogs they walk at one time (limit of six).

  • Private or Non-Profit Dog Walker (Individual): $25
  • Private or Non-Profit Dog Walker (Household): $40
  • Professional Dog Walker (Annual): $350
  • Supplemental Permit (Annual): $200
  • Duplicate Permit (Requires additional photograph of applicants): $15

To purchase a dog permit, call the Public Safety Department at (510) 690-6508.

More information on Dogs and Canines

Commercial Film/Photography Permit

Commercial Film/Photography Permits: Used for filming, photography, or videotaping of print ads, commercials, movies, videos, etc. The current fees for a commercial permit are $1,250 for a full day of filming, $750 for a half day, or $165 per hour.

Individual/Portrait Photography Permits: The fee for individual/portrait photography permits is $100. The permit is good for 12 months from the issue date.

Student Permits: A fee waiver may be requested for student photography permits. A valid student ID must be submitted with the application to be eligible for the Student Permit Fee Waiver.

Film fees are subject to change. Additional fees for any of the above may be considered for parking, reservations and park staff time. Liability insurance is required for all permits.

Turnaround time depends on availability, impact to the park, and volume of requests. Generally, film permits can be issued three weeks after receipt of completed application.

To apply for a film permit, download (and save to your PC) the Commercial Film and Photography Permit Application, fill in all of the required fields, save the PDF with a new file name including your name and/or your company name. Return completed application with the fee to East Bay Regional Park District, 2950 Peralta Oaks Court, Oakland, CA 94605, Attn: Film Permit Liaison or Email to: or Fax: (510) 635-3478. Invoices and W-9 forms can be requested to be issued if required for fee payment.

Please note that remote control video aircraft (drones) are prohibited by EBRPD Ordinance 38.

Fishing Access Permit

A California Fishing license is required for anglers, (16+ years of age), to fish all eligible  inland waters, (lakes, ponds and reservoirs) of the East Bay Regional Park District.

An EBRPD Fishing Access Permit, (daily or annual) is required for anglers 16+ years of age at the following lakes/reservoirs: Del ValleContra LomaLake Chabot, (Alameda Co.);  Shadow CliffsTemescalDon Castro, and at Horseshoe and Rainbow lakes in Quarry Lakes.  A Fishing Access Permit is not required to fish the following lakes/reservoirs: Cull Canyon; Jordan Pond in Garin; Lake Anza in Tilden; Shinn Pond on Alameda Creek Trail; or at several District unnamed ponds.

Daily Fishing Permit

A daily fishing access permit, ($5/day), can be purchased at most of the park entry kiosks or from dispensers found at many of the fishing lakes.

Inflatable / Interactive Play Equipment - Rules and Regulations

"Jumpers," "Bounce Houses," or inflatable play equipment are allowed in certain locations with a daily permit. Restrictions apply. Click here for additional information and forms: Additional information and forms.

Scattering of Cremated Remains Permit

How do I apply for a permit?

A permit is required for scattering of Cremated Remains please see the below list of information. Permits are $50.00. 
To obtain a permit to scatter cremated remains please download How to Obtain a Permit to Scatter Cremated Remains for the specific instructions. 

Also, please download the EBRPD Cremated Remains Policy for the November 1, 2005 policy on scattering of cremated remains on Park District Lands. 

Once you have reviewed the above information please complete the Application for Scattering Cremated Remains 

To make payment you may create an account online to pay with Visa or MasterCard.

Or you may mail a check payable to EBRPD to attn.: Reservations Dept., 2950 Peralta Oaks Court, Oakland, CA 945618 
Or you may email the reservations department at to set up a time to make payment over the phone.

Special Event Permit Information

When do you need a Special Event Permit?

Special event permits are required for events such as walkathons, organized training's, athletic competitions, festivals, or other organized activities. In addition to the criteria above, a permit is also required for:

  • Events that are advertised and/or are open to the public
  • Events with a participation fee
  • Events that go beyond the scope of “normal” park use
  • Training runs or walks of 30 or more people
  • Non-EBRPD agencies or individuals sponsoring smaller and/or on-going classes or programs 
  • Events that require partial or exclusive use of an area of the park

If you are not sure if your event requires a special event permit or not, please email the Reservations Supervisor, with information about your requested activity and she will respond within 2 business days with additional information.

Applications are not available online. To request an application, please include your event date, location and a short description of your request.

Application timeline: New events must submit application AT LEAST 60 days prior to the event.  Repeat events must submit application AT LEAST 45 days prior to the event.  Late event requests will not be accepted.  New or unusual events may require up to 90 days plus Board approval.  You may make a reservation for a special event up to one year in advance. You are encouraged to start planning as early as possible to be sure that your date and location are available and that your application has enough time to be processed. Your application is complete only when the Reservations Department has received your completed application packet with all necessary signatures and proof of insurance, and all fees applicable have been paid.  Your event may be cancelled if your application is not complete 15 days prior to the event.

Metal Detector Permit

A permit is required to use a metal detector in the Regional Parks. Use of metal detectors is limited to beach areas, lawns, and other developed park areas. Metal detecting is NOT allowed at Contra Loma Regional Park or in natural parkland areas, wilderness areas, or regional preserves. There are other restrictions. For more information, and to obtain a permit, please call the Reservations Department at 1-888-327-2757, option 2. This $20 permit is good for 2 years and is non-refundable.

You can also obtain a permit online:

  1. Create an account online at (or login to your existing account)
  2. Purchase Metal Detector permit.
  3. Your permit will be mailed to you within 48 hours of purchase.

Parking Permit

Daily parking permits are available at each parks parking entrance kiosk.

Encroachment Permit

To obtain a Encroachment Permit please do one of the following:

Research Permit

To obtain a Research Permit please do one of the following:

Other Permits (including EBMUD Trail Use Permit)