- Why plan a Special Event with the East Bay Regional Park District?
- Step 1: Tentative Booking
- Step 2: Complete Application
- Step 3: Mandatory Pre-Event Meeting
- Step 4: Insurance and Liability
- Step 5: Fees and Payment
- Step 6: Permit
- Questions? Contact
Special event permits are required for events such as walkathons, organized trainings, athletic competitions, festivals, or other organized activities. In addition to the criteria above, a permit is also required for:
- Events that are advertised and/or are open to the public
- Events with a participation fee
- Events that go beyond the scope of “normal” park use
- Training runs or walks of 30 or more people
- Non-EBRPD agencies or individuals sponsoring smaller and/or on-going classes or programs
- Events that require partial or exclusive use of an area of the park
If you are not sure whether your event requires a special event permit, please email the Reservations Supervisor SpecialEventPermit@ebparks.org with information about your requested activity (event date and time, location, number of people, and a short description). You will receive a response within 3-5 business days.
- 1 Year Prior - Special Events may be booked up to one year in advance. It is strongly recommended that you start the application process as early as possible to ensure approval. A non-refundable initial payment of $100 is due at the time of booking in order to hold your date.
- 90 days Prior - New events or especially complicated events require a minimum of 90 days for approval.
- 60 Days Prior - Last day to submit the application, required insurance, and required event plan for NEW EVENTS.
- 45 Days Prior - Last day to submit the application, required insurance, and required event plan for REPEAT EVENTS.
Your permit is not approved until signed by the Reservations Supervisor.
Do not assume your event is approved nor start advertising your dates until you have a final permit signed by the Reservations Supervisor.
Fill out the Special Event Permit Inquiry Form to provide a written event proposal to see if the date and park of choice are available. (Encouraged to do one year in advance and at least 90 days prior for new events). Requests received under 60 days from the event date will be denied.
Once you receive the application, fill in and complete all areas of the application where instructed to do so.
Map Plan Requirement: The map is an important requirement since it shows a visual layout of the event area(s).
Arrange a face-to-face meeting with the appropriate Park Supervisor(s) and staff to discuss your application and event.
Proof of insurance may be emailed or faxed to the Reservations Supervisor.
A hard copy is not required in order to save paper. SpecialEventPermit@ebparks.org or Fax: (510) 639-4757.
Evidence of General Liability insurance Coverage in an amount not less than one million dollars ($1,000,000) combined single limit bodily injury and property damage for each occurrence is required.
Referrals are available through EBRPD's Risk Management Department at (510)544-2163.
Waivers - All athletic special events or events of a competitive nature, excluding school-sponsored events and training events, are required to have ALL participants sign a waiver.
Fees vary depending on the size and scope of the event. Contact the Reservations Supervisor for a quote based on your event proposal at email@example.com.
Payment: We accept Visa, MasterCard or check as form of payment. Once your contract is created, you can pay online at EBParksOnline.org/
In-District (Alameda and Contra Costa Counties) organizations, schools, and agency groups hosting events solely for people with disabilities, senior, and/or low-income groups that cannot afford the fees may qualify for a fee reduction or waiver.
Once the application is complete and the Reservations Supervisor has received all your paperwork, your contract needs to be signed and submitted to the Reservations Supervisor who will countersign it, and send you a copy.
Your special event is not confirmed until you receive a copy of the signed contract from the Reservations Supervisor.
East Bay Regional Park District
c/o Reservations Department
2950 Peralta Oaks Court
Oakland, CA 94605
Phone: (510) 544-2540
Fax: (510) 639-4757