Located along Oakland’s waterfront at the foot of the eastern span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, the Judge John Sutter Regional Shoreline provides spectacular vistas of the San Francisco Bay and city skylines. This 22.47-acre regional shoreline is named in honor of Judge John Sutter, a former East Bay Regional Park District Director and visionary who in 1967 proposed a park at this site for public recreation and access. He was the president and a founding member of Citizens for Regional Recreation and Parks.
This park is rich in the transportation history of the East Bay. The historic electric railway Key System operated on a train trestle between 1903 and 1939, carrying passengers to a ferry terminal far out in the Bay to cross over to San Francisco. Later, the ferries were replaced by streetcars that ran across the lower deck of the bridge until 1960. A substation at the site provided electrical power to the trains, which carried 36.4 million passengers in 1945. The historic Bridge Yard Building, previously known as the Interurban Electric Railway Bridge Yard Shop Building, was a maintenance facility for the trains. The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) recently restored this 1930s-era building and leased it to the Park District in 2017 for incorporation into the shoreline park.
In 1941, the Oakland Army Base was established at the site as a transportation port and distribution terminal for the Department of the Army. For almost 60 years, the base served as a crucial point of embarkation for the entry and return of supplies, equipment, and thousands of soldiers to World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. The base was decommissioned and closed in 1999.
Bridge Yard Building – This 24,000-square-foot building will serve as an activity hub and venue for events and conferences, including public events. The parking area provides direct and easy access to the pedestrian/bike path to the Bay Bridge.
Viewing Platform – Caltrans is building an observation platform using existing foundations from the old Bay Bridge. The platform will provide public waterfront access with unique perspectives of the Bay and the bridge, as well as Port of Oakland shipping and industrial activities.
Alexander Zuckermann Bay Bridge Trail – This popular trail opened to pedestrians and cyclists in October 2016 and was named to honor the late East Bay Bicycle Coalition founder and Bay Bridge Trail advocate. A plaque bearing his name is located on the trail which extends over four miles from Emeryville to Yerba Buena Island.
Radio Beach – This 400-foot stretch of narrow sandy beach provides public access on the north side of the park. The beach is ideal for walking, picnicking, bird watching, fishing, windsurfing, kiteboarding, and kayak launching.
The Gateway Park Working Group was formed to advance and manage the Gateway Park planning effort and the preparation of the Gateway Park Project Concept Report. The formation of the Gateway Park Working Group enables a collaborative and comprehensive approach to development of a site, which includes several property owners with a number of ongoing plans, regulations and permitting requirements and multiple-use requirements. The Gateway Park Working Group consists of the Association of Bay Area Governments, Bay Conservation and Development Commission, CalTrans, California Transportation Commission, East Bay Municipal Utility District, Port of Oakland, the City of Oakland, the Bay Area Toll Authority, and the East Bay Regional Park District.
The newly-renovated Bridge Yard Building, previously known as the Interurban Electric Railway Bridge Yard Shop (IERBYS) Building, is a 24,000-square-foot, 1930s-era industrial building that will serve as the recreational anchor for the park, with interpretive and recreational programming, concessionaires (food/dining, equipment rental, etc.), and event space.
The Bridge Yard building and its facilities are available for rent. For questions or additional information on reserving the Bridge Yard Building for an event, please call (510) 550-4546 or email email@example.com.
Maps are available at most of the bulletin boards at trailheads in the park, or you can print your own.
Click the map image below to see an enlarged version.