- What is included or provided by the facility? All reservations include a basic inventory of tables and chairs. Each facility also offers amenities unique to that facility. Please visit each facility webpage for a list of specific amenities included or available at an additional fee. Note that starting in 2021, all amenities will be included in the rental.
- Do you have WiFi? Free guest WiFi is available, and the login info can be found in the Rules & Use Agreement section on WiFi. Connectivity and speeds may vary. We recommend you have hard copies of presentations, slide shows, and/or music to play at your event.
- What are your rules on music and amplified sound? Music and amplified sound are allowed indoors at all facilities. Outdoor amplified sound is permitted for the first 90 minutes of your event (ie. for a wedding ceremony and/or welcome reception hour). We recommend that music is shut off at least 1 hour prior to your reservation end time so that clean-up can begin after your guests have departed. Speakers should be pointed towards the building, or to the side, and not towards picnic areas or homes. Music and amplified sound should only be at levels where it can be heard no more than 50 feet away.
- What decorations are allowed? Am I allowed to hang things? A general rule of thumb is that anything that could cause damage or leave a mess is not allowed. In order to help maintain and preserve our historic and high-use facilities, nothing may be nailed, tacked, taped, hung, or otherwise attached to any part of the facility, inside or outside. Some facilities have permanent designated hanging points. Please contact the Rental Facilities Office at email@example.com or 510-544-3164 with any additional questions about decorations or décor.
- Can I use confetti, rice, flower petals, birdseed, bubbles, etc. at my event? All forms of confetti, rice, flower petals, birdseed, streamers, glitter, poppers, bubbles, sparklers, fireworks etc. are prohibited in or around any facility or park. Balloons are allowed inside the buildings, but they are not permitted to be released outdoors within the park environment and must be properly disposed of or removed from park property after the event.
- Do you allow real candles or open flame? Candles are allowed indoors but must be in a non-flammable vase or container and the tip of the flame is at least an inch below the rim of the vase or container. Traditional candles are not allowed outside at any District facility, but you may use LED candles. For more information, see the Rules & Use Agreement section on candles.
- When can I arrive to set up? Can we make early deliveries to the facility? Can items be stored in your offices? Can I leave items overnight after the event? All activity related to your event, including deliveries and pick-ups, must be completed within your contracted reservation times. Items may not be left outdoors unattended. Office spaces are not included in the facility rental. We do not store items at the facility at any time.
- We want to have a rehearsal before our event. What are the rules for rehearsals? Rehearsals are limited to thirty minutes at no extra charge, and are arranged by contacting Rental Facilities staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 510-544-3164 within two weeks of your desired rehearsal date. Rehearsals are scheduled around the existing event schedule at the facility and take place outdoors (with no access to the indoor space nor equipment). Indoor rehearsals are available during the regularly scheduled Open Houses by appointment only.
- Are your facilities ADA accessible? Yes, all our rental facilities are ADA accessible, with ADA restrooms, and have adjacent ADA parking.
- Are dogs permitted in the facilities? What about guide dogs? EBRPD Ordinance 38 (Section 801) states that dogs must be securely leashed in all developed areas. Pets may not be left unattended at any Regional Park. Dogs are not permitted in the buildings. Working guide dogs must be licensed according to the Food and Agricultural Code Section 30850.
- Do you require security? Reservations with a majority of guests 12 to 21 years of age must have an EBRPD public safety officer present during the event at a ratio of 50:1 and for a minimum of four hours. All sorority and fraternity groups are required to have an officer. Additional fees apply. We will coordinate the addition of public safety to your reservation if it is determined a requirement.
- Can we fund-raise or sell goods at our event? The East Bay Regional Park District does not permit the sale, solicitation, peddling, or rental of goods, merchandise, and edibles or collection of any money at its facilities without an applicable permit. For more information, please visit our Special Event Permit Information page. If you have additional questions, please contact the Rental Facilities Office at email@example.com or 510-544-3164.
- How do I make a facility reservation? Facility reservations can be made over the phone by calling our Reservations Office at 1-888-327-2757 (option 2). If you have questions about our facilities before making your reservation, please contact our Rental Facilities Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 510-544-3164.
- Can I view the facility before I reserve? Yes! We offer regularly scheduled open houses at the Brazilian Room and at the Temescal Beach House. Appointments are also available at all four of our rental facilities when the facility is not in use during our normal operating hours. We also host a series of wedding fairs at the Brazilian Room annually. Please contact the Rental Facilities Office at email@example.com or 510-544-3164 to make an appointment or for more information about our open houses or wedding fairs.
- How far in advance should I make a facility reservation? Facility reservations for the calendar year are released on the first Monday of the previous year. For example, 2022 dates will be available to reserve starting on Monday, January 4, 2021. If you are interested in a weekend date during wedding season (typically March-October), we encourage you to make your reservation as soon as possible as dates can fill up quickly. Reservations under 30 days are subject to additional approval by the Facilities Supervisor. Please call our Reservations Office at 1-888-327-2757 (option 2) to make a reservation.
- How can I check available dates? Can I hold a date or be put on a waitlist? Our facility availability calendars can be found online and are updated in real time. If you make a reservation, the initial payment is partially refundable if you need to cancel. We do not keep a waitlist for dates. Please refer to our How to Search for Available Dates document for how to access our online availability calendars.
- What time blocks do you offer? Can I add more time to my reservation? We offer various time blocks at our facilities to meet your needs. Please refer to the rate sheets for each facility for more detailed information. Generally, our time blocks range from 5 to 8, 9, or 10 hours, and our facility buyouts do not exceed 10 hours to allow enough time for rental facilities staff to fully clean the facility before or after events.
- Can I reserve the lawn or outdoor space only? Outdoor spaces that are adjacent to and associated with each facility are included in the facility rental and not rented separately. If you are interested in an outdoor only space, the District offers numerous picnic sites that can be reserved for daytime use. Please see our list of outdoor locations and other popular outdoor picnic sites for weddings (scroll down the webpage to see the list).
- What does it cost to reserve a facility? Do you require a deposit? When are payments due? For events booked more than 180 days in advance, an initial payment is due to reserve a specific date and is credited towards the total fees due. The balance of fees and the cleaning & damage deposit are due 180 days (6 months) before your event. Please refer to our fee sheets for each facility to view our current rates.
- Do you require insurance? Insurance is required and can be purchased through our recommended provider, or you may provide your own proof of coverage. For specific coverage information, please contact our Reservations Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-327-2757 (option 2).
- Can EBRPD terminate my reservation in the event of an emergency, casualty, or other occurrence? The Park District reserves the absolute right at any time to cancel your reservation and terminate an agreement in the event of an emergency, casualty, physical damage to the building, or other occurrences which the District renders the facility unsuitable or unsafe for use by you, or which requires use of the facility for emergency purposes. For more information, see the Rules & Use Agreement section on cancellations.
- How will I know how much of my Cleaning and Damage Deposit will be returned to me? Please carefully read your Rules & Use Agreement and other documents that list your responsibilities for the reservation. Failure to follow any of the rules listed will result in a partial or no refund and/or billing if the Facilities Supervisor deems it necessary. For more information, see the Rules & Use Agreement section on deposits.
- Can I set up my ceremony or guests on the lawn? Ceremonies can be set up on the patios or decks at the facilities, but tables and chairs are not allowed on our lawn areas to help protect the turf. You may set up lawn games on the lawns at the Brazilian Room and Fern Cottage. There is no staking into the grass.
- Are tents allowed? Tents are allowed, must be installed by a licensed and insured vendor, and must be secured by weights. Staking is not allowed. The tent must also be set up and taken down within your reservation time and supervised by a member of your party or the approved caterer.
- Can I use outdoor heaters at your facilities? Ask your caterer about choosing suitable outdoor heaters. Remember that they are flammable devices requiring special care and handling. Several of our preferred vendors have outdoor heaters available to rent.
- Can I use a caterer that is not on your approved caterer list? The only caterers permitted to work on site or drop off food at our facilities are the caterers on our approved catering list. The District has legally binding contracts with the caterers on our list, for which requests for proposals are accepted every five years.
Our approved caterers handle opening and closing our facilities, setup and breakdown of our tables and chairs, and act as our onsite facility coordinators for fully catered events. They participate in regular facility trainings, including emergency protocols, and maintain a successful track record of working with our customers. They also offer a wide variety of options, menus, and services.
For non-catered events, you may pick up food from a caterer, restaurant, or other vendor to be brought in by you or a volunteer member of your party. No hired staff may work as a caterer within the facility or on the grounds except those on our approved catering list. Please see more information about non-catered events in the next question below.
- Can I have a potluck or bring my own food? The non-catered option allows for a potluck or bring your own food. This option is available Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at the Brazilian Room and for any events that end by 7pm (including clean-up) at the Beach House, Fern Cottage, and Shoreline Center.
There is an additional non-catered fee to cover facility staff time to open and close the facility for you, and a building orientation within a few weeks of your event is required. No hired staff may work as a caterer within the facility or on the grounds except those on our approved catering list.
If you have any questions, please contact the Rental Facilities Office at email@example.com or 510-544-3164.
Can I have a food truck or mobile food/drink cart at my event? Food trucks are not allowed at the rental facilities or in the adjacent parking lots due to our exclusive agreements with our approved caterers and a parkwide ordinance that prohibits events from taking place in parking lots. Some mobile food or drink carts may be allowed indoors or the adjacent patio or deck (but not in parking lots) if subcontracted though one of our approved caterers. Certain picnic sites allow food trucks under specific conditions. Please visit our Picnics webpage section on food trucks at picnic sites for more information
- Can the patio or deck be used for preparing food or barbecuing? When am I not permitted to barbecue? Special areas at each facility are set aside for food preparation and barbecuing. Barbequing must be approved by the Facilities Supervisor and is allowed only in designated areas. There is no barbequing, preparation, cooking, or serving allowed on the patio, decks, walkways, or lawns. No barbequing is allowed during EBRPD Red Flag Alerts as posted by the Regional Park District.
- Can I serve food from a buffet on the patio? For buffet-style food service, guests may dine outdoors, but the buffet itself must be placed indoors.
- Is alcohol allowed? Can I bring my own? Do I need an alcohol permit? Beer, wine, and champagne are permitted. No other alcoholic beverages may be served or allowed on the premises. No alcohol is permitted in parking areas. There is an alcohol prohibition for all high school, sorority, and fraternity groups.
Is there parking available at the facilities for my event? Public parking is available at all facilities.
At the Brazilian Room, the adjacent lot has 36 parking spots (including 2 ADA), and there are an additional 36 parking spots along Wildcat Canyon Road along with overflow parking on the curb of Anza View Road below. Parking is free year-round.
At the Temescal Beach House, there is a gated and dedicated lot for the Beach House with 15 parking spaces. We recommend designating the allocated spaces in this lot to specific vendors and attendees. The gate to this lot will be opened for your group, and must remain closed to the general public for the duration of your event. It is the responsibility of your group or caterer to manage the gate during your event. There is additional parking in the North lot for the Lake Temescal Regional Recreation Area less than a 5-minute walk away. Parking in the North lot is $5 per car when the kiosk is attended during the months of April through October.
At Fern Cottage, there is plentiful parking in the parking lot for the Kennedy Grove Regional Recreation Area. Parking is $5 per car on weekends and holidays during the months of April through October.
At the MLK Shoreline Center, there is plentiful parking in the adjacent parking lot for the Shoreline Center. Parking is free year-round.
- Can I reserve the parking lot and walkways exclusively for my event? All parking lots at all Regional Park facilities are for public use and accessible to all (with the exception of the gated lot at the Temescal Beach House). However, there is almost always ample parking for guests of events held at our facilities. Your event reserves the patio or deck and the interior facility, but public walkways in the park cannot be reserved.
- Is there public transportation near the facilities? There are limited AC transit lines that service our facility locations. Please visit each facility webpage for the most current links to public transit information. You may also rent private shuttles to transport your guests to and from the event. Uber, Lyft, and other shared ride companies also service our facilities. You can provide guests with the facility WiFi information found in the Rules & Use Agreement so that they can access the shared ride apps.
- Can I place directional signs around the park to guide guests to my event? Directional or informational signs are not allowed within the Regional Parks.
- Where can I find directions to the facilities? Directions to the facilities can be found on each facility webpage. We recommend that you also provide your guests with the park name and address of the facility. You will want to scope the location out ahead of time on a map, as various map programs have our facilities pinned at incorrect locations.
For Availability, Reservations, and Insurance Info:
Phone: 1-888-EBPARKS (888-327-2757), option 2
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm
For Appointments and General Facility Info:
Rental Facilities Operations
Phone: (510) 544-3164 or email below
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 10am-3pm
Check availability online, 24 hours a day: Availability Calendar
1. Click on "Facilities: Look for facilities now!" then "View Facilities" links
2. Filter by Facility Type: Indoor Facility
3. Then click "view availability" for the facility you wish to search