The Wildfire Hazard Reduction and Resource Management Plan (WHRRMP) recommends specific treatment areas for wildfire hazard reduction. The variety of terrain in the East Bay Hills necessitates specific actions be made to respond to environmental conditions in different areas. Small geographical areas were identified for treatment based on a wide variety of factors described in the plan. See the map of these Recommended Treatment Areas (RTAs) to determine location and name. RTA names are made up of a two letter abbreviation indicating the regional park location (e.g., TI=Tilden), followed by a unique three digit number for each area. If a treatment area is not included in the WHRRMP, it is called a “Polygon”.
Each RTA has several reports grouped by park:
- Pre-Treatment Assessment Sheet - The Stewardship Staff or qualified biologist(s) surveys the treatment area defined in the WHRRMP before any initial treatment. Based on permitting requirements, the assessment might be titled "proposed", "connected" or "cumulative", and some RTAs have more than one assessment.
- Wildlife Survey Sheet - Wildlife is more intensively surveyed by the Wildlife Dept. or qualified biologist(s).
- Fuels Treatment Prescription (“Rx”) - Guides the work; documents the goals, methods, timing and resource considerations for treatment on the ground, including initial actions and follow-up maintenance for many years. It is signed by both the Stewardship Manager and the Assistant Fire Chief before implementation and includes a map. This document may be adapted based on subsequent surveys.
- Post-Treatment Assessment -Annual survey, or more if needed, of the treated area gathering information about success of the treatment(s) based on reaching the vegetation goals. The results may be used to change the prescription, allowing for adaptive management.
- Map of Treatment Area - Additional view of the specific area targeted for Fuels Treatment actions as documented in the Prescription. There is also a map included with the Prescription.
Current Parks with Recommended Treatment Area Survey:
Anthony Chabot Park
> AC006 Pre-assessment
> TI012 Pre-assessment - Aug. 2011
All files available for download are in the Adobe Acrobat PDF format.