Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
2023 Post Storm Cleanup!
Our parks have been hit hard this January with an intense storm. Across the East Bay Regional Park District, we need help! Join the 2023 Post Storm Clean-up!
Search for other upcoming volunteer events here: https://apply.ebparks.org/custom/501/opp_search
Life's most persistent and urgent question is: what are you doing for others?"
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
All over the nation, the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service inspires Americans to come together and serve their communities. Every year, to celebrate the MLK holiday, citizens engage in service to empower and strengthen our communities and bring us closer to his vision of a "Beloved Community."
Join us for a "day on" to celebrate the Martin Luther King, Jr. Service Day Event! This year there are TWO ways you can participate:
Martin Luther King Jr Day of Service: Monday, January 16, 2023,
This year we are hosting a staggered start time event where you can help remove the trash and plastic pollution at three different locations at the Martin Luther King Jr Shoreline.
- Shoreline Cleanup at Tidewater Boating Center
- Gardening and Maintenance at MLK Grove
- Shoreline Cleanup at Oakport Staging Area
(Self-guided) 2023 Martin Luther King Jr Neighborhood Cleanup:
Participate throughout the month by cleaning your neighborhoods, parks, and other local areas. Assemble your own gear and clean on your own time without any crowds. By picking up litter that would otherwise travel through storm drains and creeks to pollute beaches and parks, you are providing an invaluable service to the environment and to your communities.
Here is what you need to do to have a successful self-guided neighborhood cleanup event:
- Register for the event - coming soon.
- Look through our Safety Guidelines and watch the safety video
- Assemble your own cleanup gear!
• Trash bags or buckets
• Face mask
• A trash grabber or tongs
• Sun protection
• Close-toed shoes
• Warm layers for potentially cool bay area days
- Go out and pick up trash! Remember, you are our most important resource: Safety first!
- Throw any debris collected into your home trash bin
- Dispose of your gloves and thoroughly wash your hands
- Take the simple survey and log your hours
- Post your pics on Social Media with the hashtags: #ebrpd and #MLKdayofservice
- Don’t forget to have fun!