Leona Canyon Open Space Regional Preserve

Poison Oak

The glossy leaves grow in sets of three (like the wild blackberry) and change from light green in the spring to pink or red in the summer. The “poison” is the oil found throughout the plant. Even touching the plant's stem can cause a reaction on the skin. Avoiding poison oak is the best way to avoid the itchy rash caused by touching the plant.

Staying on the trail will help avoid contact. If you do come in contact with poison oak, wash immediately with soap and water. Calamine lotion relieves itching. If the rash spreads, see a physician.

Remember “Leaves of three, let it be; if it’s hairy, it’s a berry” (the hair being the thorns of a blackberry).

Poison Oak

Sign up for Monthly e-Newsletter Updates