Tilden Regional Park, Regional Parks Botanic Garden is currently NOT accepting any new volunteers due to COVID-19.
Located at Wildcat Canyon Road (between Anza View Road & South Park Drive, near Brazil Bldg.), Berkeley, CA (South Park Drive is closed November through March)
The Botanic Garden is open:
- October - May: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- June - September: 8:30am - 5:30pm
Reservations are needed for large group gathering, film and photo shoots. For more information contact our Administrative Staff at (510) 544-3169.
Volunteer Opportunities at the Regional Parks Botanic Garden
There are several ways you can support the Regional Parks Botanic Garden as a volunteer:
- Become a docent and lead tours of the Botanic Garden for weekend visitors and/or school groups during the week. Docent training is offered once each year, usually in the winter/spring, with more than 20 weekly sessions of three-and-a-half hours each. Docent training is comprehensive, covering everything from basic botany to California plant ecology and interpretive techniques, and it is backed up by subsequent enrichment classes, including field trips. Email: BGarden@ebparks.org for more information.
Visit the Friends website for more information on the content of the docent training classes and schedule: www.nativeplants.org.
- Help propagate and maintain potted California native plants offered for sale to the public to support the Botanic Garden. Plant sale volunteers meet at the garden in the potting shed area of the Juniper Lodge building on most Thursday mornings between 9:00am and 12:00pm. Volunteers are also needed to water the plants on Tuesdays and/or Sundays. Many of the volunteers are experienced horticulturists, but experience isn’t necessary; volunteering for the plant sale is an excellent way to learn about native plants. Email: BGarden@ebparks.org for more information.
- Help maintain the garden (light gardening work such as weeding, raking, nursery work) under the supervision of the garden supervisor, usually working closely with a gardener. If you can donate your time on a regular basis (once a week, twice a month, etc.) and have some gardening experience. Email: BGarden@ebparks.org for more information.
- Work with the board of the Friends of the Regional Parks Botanic Garden in publicizing and raising funds for the Botanic Garden through many different types of activities. No experience is needed, just a love of the garden and a desire to help. Friends board meetings are usually held in the Botanic Garden's Visitor Center auditorium on the second Wednesday of each month at 10:00am, and everyone is welcome to attend. Email: email@example.com for more information.
The Friends of the Regional Parks Botanic Garden periodically send out announcements of classes, plant sales and special events of interest to lovers of California Native Plants. To subscribe to the email list please visit: NativePlants - Email List