Film and Photography Permit

*PLEASE NOTE* The Film & Photo Permit Office will not be accepting new film permit applications in the month of January 2022 to work on a backlog of permit requests for Annual Photo Permit holders. Annual Photo Permit applications will be processed in the order received, including all the required insurance documents. We appreciate your patience and understanding, and please plan accordingly.

A Film or Photography Permit is required for film and photography done for commercial purposes or otherwise falls outside of normal park use in the East Bay Regional Park District.

Film/Commercial Photography Permits: Used for filming, photography, or videotaping of print ads, commercials, movies, videos, PSAs, etc. The current fees for a Film/Commercial Photography permit are $1,250 for a full day of filming (8+ hours), $750 for a half day (5-7 hours), or $165 per hour.

Individual/Portrait Photography Permits (Annual Photo Permits): The fee for individual/portrait photography permits is $100. The permit is good for 12 months from the issue date.

Student Permits: A fee waiver may be requested for student photography permits. A letter from the school and valid student ID must be submitted with the application to be eligible for the Student Permit Fee Waiver.

Film and Photography Permit fees are subject to change. Additional fees may also apply for parking, reservations, and park staff time. Liability insurance is required for all permits.

Turnaround time depends on availability, impact to the park, and volume of requests. Generally, Film and Photography Permits can be issued three weeks after receipt of the completed application and insurance documents. It is highly recommended you submit the application at least one month in advance.

To apply for a Film/Photography Permit:

1. Application: Fill out the EBRPD Film and Photo Shoot Pre-Approval Request Form and Permit Application HERE.

2. Insurance: Review the insurance requirements HERE. Insurance documents should be emailed to FilmPhotoPermits@ebparks.org

  • For Film & Commercial Photo Shoot Permits, it is recommended you obtain pre-approval for the shoot before submitting your insurance documents in case your shoot request is denied.
  • For new Annual Photo Permits, you may submit your insurance documents at the time of the permit application before obtaining pre-approval for your first photo shoot.
  • For current Annual Photo Permits, insurance must be kept current for the permit to remain valid.
  • For Student Film & Photography Permits, if your school is not able to provide the required insurance with your name and shoot dates, then you must provide your own insurance which meets the requirements.

3. Payment: Credit card (MC or Visa) payment is preferred, and you will be contacted upon approval of the permit to make payment. Invoices and W-9 forms can be requested to be issued if required for payment.

4. For Current Annual Photo Permits: Please also use the Pre-Approval Request Form to request pre-approval for each subsequent photo shoot, even after obtaining your permit, at least two weeks in advance.

Please note that Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS aka “drones”), pyrotechnics, and weapons are prohibited by EBRPD Ordinance 38.

For Media filming/photography inquiries, please contact our Public Information Office at PublicInformation@ebparks.org.

For Regional Parks Botanic Garden photo shoots, a reservation is required – please contact the Botanic Garden at (510) 544-3165.