In 1934, citizens of the East Bay voted to preserve open space, improving the quality of life for future generations. A brilliant idea! Bring your family and friends to celebrate the 80th Anniversary of the East Bay Regional Park District with a day of music, games, crafts, and fun – at the unique park where it all began: Tilden Regional Park in the Berkeley hills.
Meet a pig, a goat, or a chicken at the Little Farm. Help crank some ice cream, enjoy it, then “stroll it off” with the Passport to History walk to beautiful Jewel Lake and earn a prize!
Come participate in the nature activities, apple cider pressing, arts and crafts, and old-fashioned games on the lawn. Meet Park District firefighters and get up close to a fire truck. Enjoy live bluegrass music with the Alhambra Valley Band and The Harkenbacks. Beloved children’s troubadour David Maloney will entertain all ages with his guitar and original songs. There will be blacksmith demonstrations - and even a mini Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp where kids can try their hand at sawing logs and making shingles, echoing the work done in the 1930s to create the park!
We will celebrate with a cake at 12:30. If you’re hungry for more substantial fare, Pacific Fine Food will be on site with delicious food for sale. Collectible anniversary lapel pins will be available while supplies last!
Guest speakers to be announced.
Presented by the East Bay Regional Park District.
Passport to History: Celebrating 80 Years
Tilden Regional Park
(North End of Central Park Drive)
Berkeley, CA 94708
Sunday, September 28
11 am to 4 pm
12:30 pm Cake Cutting!
Information: www.ebparks.org or 1 888 327-2757
Tilden Nature Area's Environmental Education Center (510) 544-2233
Above: Historic sign in the Tilden Nature Area.
Below: Photo of singer David Maloney from previous event at the Tilden Little Farm.
Above: Tilden EEC docent with kids at the Little Farm, Tilden Nature Area.
Below: Photo from previous event at the Little Farm.
Below: Early park leaders and park signage, circa 1940.
Left to right: (Unknown man), original Board of Directors members August Vollmer and Aurelia Reinhardt, and first EBRPD General Manager Elbert Vail. Redwood Park was the fourth EBRPD park and opened in 1940. Round Top is known today as Sibley Regional Volcanic Preserve (named after another early Board member and founder, Robert Sibley).
Below: News clipping about the founding of the Park District, highlighting the gift from the National Park Service of a relief map of Tilden Regional Park. The original diorama has been restored and will be unveiled at the September 28, 2014 event at the Tilden Nature Area. Download a larger file size for better legibility.