Become an Official Fish Friends School!
Litter is a bigger problem than ever before. Scientists now know that man-made toxins in the environment enter our food chain when fish eat plastic.
The good news is that anyone can help by just picking up litter and putting it where it belongs! That’s what Fish Friends is all about.
For qualifying schools the Regional Parks Foundation and East Bay Regional Park District are offering the following Fish Friends perks:
- School Assembly: A school-wide assembly day on campus featuring the Mobile Fish Exhibit and its NGSS-aligned presentations. The exhibit demonstrates the effects of litter pollution on food chains, and what we can do to help. Scheduled in fall/winter.
- Supplies: Supplies to start your school’s Fish Friend Club, including kid-friendly tools to help students organize regular schoolyard cleanups.
- Teacher Training: An introduction to the Fish Friends program and curriculum for the lead teachers.
- Bus: A bus for the lead teacher’s class to attend a Fish Friends spring field trip to one of the District’s parks
- Stipend: A stipend for a follow-up project of your own design and party supplies to celebrate your students’ accomplishments.
Quotes from teachers about the Fish Friend program:
- This Exhibit has jumpstarted our conversation about protecting our natural resources.
- They have been picking up trash all week!
- Our students need more opportunities to experience and understand the natural world. Bringing it to them really helps!
- Before, my kids didn’t feel a need to pick up trash, but now they’re all about it!