Roddy Ranch Golf Course was a 230-acre, 18-hole course located off Deer Valley Road at the south end of Antioch, CA. The East Bay Regional Park District is developing a Habitat Restoration and Public Access Plan to restore native grassland habitat and include paths and facilities for passive public recreation, such as walking, jogging, and picnicking. The former golf course property will be a part of the larger 3,500-acre future Deer Valley Regional Park. The planning process to open the former golf course as a park is expected to take 18 months.
Native people have lived in eastern Contra Costa County for millennia, subsisting on and caring for a landscape of seasonal streams, Delta waters, open grasslands, and wooded foothills. At the time of Spanish contact in the late 18th century, nearby Bay Miwok-speaking tribes included the Julpun, Ompin, and Volvon peoples. Many descendants of these first peoples continue to call the greater East Bay their home.
In 1837, American immigrant and pioneer John Marsh purchased the recently established (1835) Rancho De Los Meganos from José Noriega; the cattle ranch, at 13,000+ acres, covered much of what is modern-day Brentwood east of the future golf course. Coal was discovered in the late 1850s in what would become the nearby Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve, and five mining towns came and went. As recently as the 1960s, petroleum was being drilled from the Brentwood Oil Field about two miles northeast of the site.
When rodeo legend Jack Roddy bought 2,300 acres of land in the late 1960s, he built what would become known as Roddy Ranch, stretching from Black Diamond Mines in the northwest to Deer Valley Road in the southeast. He was dedicated to cattle grazing and philanthropy. As the popularity of golf rose and the communities of Antioch and Brentwood grew in the late 20th century, Roddy saw an opportunity to provide a public recreational opportunity. The Roddy Ranch Golf Course opened in 2001 and operated for the next 15 years, serving thousands of visitors and golf enthusiasts.
The Park District, in partnership with the East Contra Costa County Habitat Conservancy, began purchasing land that would become the future Deer Valley Regional Park in 2009. Jack Roddy sold his ranch to the Park District, including the now-closed golf course, in various transactions from 2014 – 2018. Due to habitat concerns and other considerations, Deer Valley Regional Park will remain in “landbank” status, closed to the public, for the foreseeable future. The 230-acre former golf course is anticipated to be the first part of the future Deer Valley Regional Park to open for public access.
City of Antioch-produced interview with Jack Roddy
In 2020, the Park District hired Restoration Design Group, of Berkeley, who has partnered with Nomad Ecology and other consultants to prepare the reports and planning documents needed to open the golf course as a new regional park. As information becomes publicly available, it will be posted to this section of the web page.
Former golf cart path, summer 2020, EBRPD
Staff surveying the site, summer 2020, EBRPD
Native oak at former Roddy Ranch Golf Course, spring 2019, EBRPD