Find Your Interests
Ask yourself these questions:
- What do you do well?
- What challenges you?
- What do you do for fun?
- Who do you admire?
- What have you always wanted to try?
- What are your proudest accomplishments?
- What is your favorite class?
- If you could do any job for a day, what would it be?
Build Your Skills
- Volunteer with local organizations in your field of interest
- Get a basic job: babysitting, washing dishes, yard work, etc.
- Take training: first aid, CPR, etc.
- Get involved in clubs, music, sports, church, etc.
Look for Jobs
- Visit different websites and sign up for free job announcements.
- Check job sites regularly
- Look for flyers or talk to people at organizations that you would like to work for. Let them know you want to work there
- Find the job descriptions for the jobs you want and study them
- Check your school's counseling center for any job resources or upcoming job fairs
Build Your Portfolio
- Buy a nice portfolio at an office supplies store
- Write a one-page resume
- Write a one-page list of references
- Write a one-page cover letter. Adapt it to each job you apply for
- Make copies of past work, job evaluations, awards, etc.
- Get letters of reference from teachers, bosses, etc.
- Create a LinkedIn account
- Write a draft application. Type up your final draft and have people edit it
- If you email your application in, call after one week to make sure they got it
Applying specifically at EBRPD
- Follow all directions precisely.
- Go to www.ebparks.org/jobs to complete your online application.
- Tailor your responses to the application materials with the actual job you are applying for in mind.
- Answer all questions on the application honestly and completely, including any criminal history.
- Account for all your work history during the last ten years that are relevant to the job you are applying for, including volunteer experiences
- If there is a supplemental statement, please complete and attach it to the application
- Proofread the application to ensure dates are accurate and spelling and grammar are correct
- Ask others to review your application for you as well
- Submit the application well before the deadline. Do not wait until the last minute.
- Make a copy of the application materials for your own files and reference.
- Contact Human Resources at (510) 544-2154 or visit this website link that answers frequently asked questions: www.ebparks.org/jobs
- When they call/email you for an interview, thank them!
- Prepare your portfolio and bring extra copies of your resume and references
- Dress nice! You don't have to overdress though
- Double check the directions and get there 10 minutes early. Drink water and use the bathroom before!
- During the interview, relax, breathe, make eye contact, and take your time. It's ok to be nervous. Just be you
- The day after the interview, send a thank-you email