Stanford Avenue Staging Area Expansion Project
Mission Peak has become extremely popular in recent years and increased visitor use causes the Stanford Avenue Staging area to become full throughout the day, resulting in overflow parking in the surrounding neighborhood streets. The Stanford Avenue Staging Area only accommodates 43 cars, and overflow demand vastly exceeds that. On busy summer weekends over 300 cars have been parked in the surrounding neighborhood streets, creating problems for neighbors and park visitors alike.
We ask that park visitors observe park rules and curfew hours, be courteous to neighbors when parking in the surrounding neighborhoods, pack out trash for disposal in trash receptacles, and stay on designated trails.
Stanford Avenue Staging Area Expansion Project
The District published the Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the Stanford Avenue Staging Area Expansion Project October 16, 2015. The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requires a 45-day public review and comment period, which was initiated on the date of Draft EIR publication. The public review period originally was scheduled to conclude on November 30, 2015 but was extended by the District to conclude on December 15, 2015. In total, 60 days were provided for public review and comment. The District hosted a public meeting on November 9, 2015, and public input received at that meeting was addressed along with written comments received during the public review period.
The Final EIR, which includes (1) the comments received during the public review period on the Draft EIR, (2) responses to comments, (3) text changes to the Draft EIR, and (4) the Mitigation, Monitoring, and Reporting Program (MMRP), was published on August 29, 2016. Two public meetings were announced with publication of the Final EIR, one being the District’s Board Executive Committee Meeting on September 2, 2016 and the second being the District’s Board of Directors on September 20, 2016.
The results of those meetings were that the Board Executive Committee forwarded a recommendation to the District’s Board to certify the EIR, adopt the MMRP, and approve the “Option A” Project. The District’s Board of Directors certified the Final EIR, adopted the MMRP, approved the “Option A” Project, and authorized funding appropriations to complete design and construction at their September 20, 2016 meeting. At a follow-up meeting on October 4, 2016, the District’s Board confirmed those approvals and adopted Findings.
The “Option A” site is located approximately 250 feet northeast of the existing staging area on a grassland area with a bowl-like topography. The Project will provide a maximum of 300 new parking spaces within the boundaries of Mission Peak on a portion of the land owned by the City of Fremont and leased to the District. The Project will also include a gate for controlled access to the new staging area, a kiosk, new public restrooms connected to public sewer, picnic tables, landscaping, utility improvements, paved vehicle access roadways, and new graveled roadways/trail connections. Post-construction stormwater controls will include treatment through bioretention within the staging area and hydromodification management using a detention pond.
A lawsuit was filed in Alameda County Superior Court on behalf of the Coalition to Save Mission Peak challenging the adequacy of the environmental review presented in the EIR. It could take months to several years to resolve this litigation.
The Draft EIR, the Final EIR, and other documents associated with the Project are is available online at at our Stanford Avenue Staging Area Expansion Project page and at the District’s main office Administrative Office located at 2950 Peralta Oaks Court, Oakland.Questions? Contact Michelle Julene at StanfordAveProject@ebparks.org.
- Public Notice - Final EIR, August 29, 2016 (312KB, 2 pp.)
- Responses to Comments Document, August 2016 (41.2MB, 671 pp.)
- Draft EIR Public Meeting Transcripts, November 9, 2015 (175KB, 84 pp.)
- Mission Peak Notice of Availability: Extended Review Period (520KB, 2 pp.)
- Stanford Ave Draft EIR Notice of Availability (520KB, 2 pp.)
- Stanford Ave Draft EIR (16MB, 484 pp.)
- Stanford Ave Draft EIR Appendices (22MB, 399 pp.)
- Parking Management Survey (550KB, 48 pp.)
- Public Meeting Agenda - Presentation - 11-09-2015
- Conceptual Locations of Proposed Mission Peak Parking Areas (Map)
- Public Comment from the Scoping Meeting for the Staging Area Expansion Project ~ Meeting held on November 8, 2012
- District staff PowerPoint presentation at the Public Scoping Meeting for the Stanford Avenue Staging Area Expansion Project ~ Meeting held on November 8, 2012
- Notice of Preparation of an Environmental Impact Report for the Stanford Avenue Staging Area Expansion Project at Mission Peak Regional Preserve ~ Published on October 22, 2012
- Public Comment from the District’s Master Plan Meeting in Fremont regarding the Mission Peak Staging Area Expansion Project ~ Meeting held on September 29, 2012